For my first blog post for @cccwrite, I'm going to get intensely personal....
Dear Kim from the past,
Dear Kim from the past,
I know that you worry. A lot. About everything. You will be
fine.
If I could go back and actually tell my former self these
comforting words, I'm not sure I would. The journey, the process, the
good things, the painful things- they all make us who we are today, right?
Still, it would be temping to at least tell myself that things
will be OK, especially during the most difficult of times.
I have been really lucky in my life; I have had very few tragic or
traumatic events; However, I have been in a constant state of worry since I was
36 weeks pregnant with my daughter (late June, 2015). My stomach was
measuring small, so I had an ultrasound. Something was wrong.
Since that day, I have worried about my Ava. She was born
July 11, 2015 and has since been diagnosed with microcephaly and spastic
quadriplegic cerebral palsy. To this day,
no one can tell me why this happened.
If I could go back to that day of the ultrasound, I would say,
"This is going to be the hardest job you'll ever have. There will be
days you won't want to get out of bed, and there will be days when the joy
overwhelms you to the point of tears. Oh- and everything
really will be just fine. Because Ava will make life better than you ever
thought it could be."
Even with all of the stress surrounding Ava’s birth, her doctors
actually deemed her as “perfectly fine” during her first four months.
During this time, I was interviewing for the full time position at
San Diego Mesa College that I have now.
This is the job I have always wanted, so a lot was on the line.
I also knew that even though she was my first child, Ava wasn’t developing the way she should be, in spite of the doctors’
reassurance. So, as I was interviewing,
I was also pushing doctors for an MRI.
They agreed. She got the
MRI. We waited.
We got the results, and I
still remember that day vividly. The doctor told us that she may never walk, or talk,
or live independently. On that same day,
two hours later I got the call from the district: You have been offered the
position.
Overwhelming grief about my daughter. Relief and joy that I got the job that I have
been working toward for 7 years.
Dear Kim, you will be fine.
Ava still may never walk, or talk, or live independently, but what a
clever, kind, brave little girl she will be.
What a personality she will have.
What a great partnership you will have with Rob as two parents
navigating their way through these waters.
She will be so loved.
You will be able to take her to therapy appointments, doctors’
appointments, and you will also experience all of the best parts of
parenting. You will go to the zoo, and you will go camping, and she will squeal with joy when the dogs act silly.
Oh, and you will absolutely thrive as an English Professor at
Mesa. You love teaching. And you’re good at it.
You love what you do, and you will get to do it with an amazing
daughter who will make you beam with pride.
Dear Kim, you will still always worry, and that’s ok. But you will
be fine because life is good. Life is
hard, but life is also so so good.
#CCCWrite
#CCCWrite





Your bravery in sharing all the emotions surrounding your journey with Ava is awe inspiring. Thank you for your honesty and beautiful words that illuminate a subject that is not often discussed. Thank you for sharing this.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteSuch a lovely tribute to your daughter, to yourself, and to life itself... just loved this Kim.
ReplyDeleteLOVE. Your courage, your heart, your levity, your hope. 🤗
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing this! So beautiful.
ReplyDeleteYour beautiful words and inspiring strength make me smile and my heart swell. It’s truly amazing at our capability to embrace whatever life throws at us. You two are wonderful parents and Ava is blessed to have you and you her. Big hugs to you all and I’m excited to read your next post. xoxo
ReplyDeleteBeautifully written and inspiring.
ReplyDeleteYou’re such an amazing person and teacher and mom Kim, I’m proud to be your colleague. Thanks so much for sharing this.
ReplyDeleteThank you for having the courage to share your story, Kim. It’s difficult to imagine the irony of the day you received those two phone calls. You are a hero.
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful love letter to your younger self.
ReplyDeleteSuch a moving and beautiful letter, Kim. This bittersweet education and finding of such love and grace is inspirational. Thank you for sharing these profound moments with us.
ReplyDelete